Girl, Have You Met… Jamie Wesley?
Jamie Wesley has been reading romance novels since she was about 12 when her mother left a romance novel, which a friend had given her, on the nightstand. Jamie read it instead, and the rest is history. Her debut novel, TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD, was released by Entangled Publishing in 2014. When she’s not writing, she’s reading, watching TV, rooting for her favorite sports teams, and/or planning her next trip to Walt Disney World.
Register HERE to meet Jamie at the, Girl, Have You Met… event in Houston, and read more about her below!
Have you always known you wanted to be a writer?
English/language arts was always my best subject in school. I’ve always loved writing. In high school, I thought I was going to be a journalist. In college, I thought I was going to work in public relations and write press releases. It didn’t occur to me to try my hand at romance until after I graduated from college and I didn’t get serious about it until years later.
Where does the inspiration for your stories come from?
Everywhere. Tweets. Songs. My first book, Tell Me Something Good, came about when I heard the song on the radio on the way home for work.
What would readers be surprised to know about you?
I have a master’s degree in sport management. Yes, that’s a real thing, and yes, I love sports that much. LOL.
What are your hobbies outside of writing?
Reading romance, watching TV, rooting for my favorite sports teams (Dallas Everything), going to Walt Disney World, spending too much time on Twitter.
Why is Black Romance important to you?
Because it’s true. Black love happens every day all around us. We are important and our stories deserve to be told and celebrated.
What advice would you give aspiring authors?
Read a lot and study the craft of writing. They’re both equally important.
- Favorite black romance book of all time? I’m going to cheat and say anything by Maureen Smith. I adore her. I’ll also say that the best scene I’ve read in a long time, maybe ever, was the sword fight scene in Beverly Jenkins’ Destiny’s Captive. As a reader and writer, it makes me beam with joy just thinking about it.
- Favorite author of all time? I plead the fifth, but the two authors in my last answer are definitely contenders.
- Favorite book turned movie? I…have no earthly idea. I don’t watch movies very often. People always get frustrated with me when they ask if I’ve seen a movie and my answer is no.
- Favorite genre to read? Contemporary romance
- Favorite genre to write? Contemporary romance
- What is your go-to writing playlist? The Dirty Dancing soundtrack. It’s my time-to-get-serious music.
- What snack/drink must you have while you’re writing? If any? Cookies and/or Reese’s peanut butter cups. Coke or apple juice to wash down all that nutritious food.
- How do you celebrate a release day? Going to Olive Garden. Don’t laugh. Their braised beef and tortelloni is the truth!
- What’s your favorite part about being an author? Having a reader say she enjoyed my book. I do the best I can when writing, but there are no guarantees that people will like what I came up with.
- Where can people find you and your books? Jamiewesley.com ; Twitter.com/Jamie_Wesley ; Facebook.com/authorJamieWesley ; Instagram.com/JamieWesleywrites